The Best Excuses Customers Give For Not Paying Their Invoice

Did you ever used to watch those old game shows?

  • Wheel of Fortune
  • Going for Gold
  • Strike it Lucky
  • You Bet
  • Bullseye

I started reminiscing about these shows recently. Sometimes it feels like our customers are taking inspiration from those TV shows and playing games with us.

Some people are great payers …

… others, less so.

Eventually they do all pay but not before they’ve given us the run around.

What kind of excuses do your Customers give for not paying their invoice on time?

Here’s a list of the usual games and excuses I’ve experienced (maybe you’ll recognise a few):

  • “We’ll pay you next week/month/year.”
  • “You’ve reached the Voicemail of …..”
  • “Its with my manager – s/he will let you know.”
  • “I don’t have an answer” (if its staff)
  • “It’s with the Director for approval.”
  • “There’s an issue with it? They will get back to you.”
  • “Call me back later” (and when you do there is no response)
  • Blocked by the Gatekeeper
  • Numerous Unanswered emails

For those who haven’t heard any of these, or similar, maybe you’ve just struck it lucky and always been paid promptly.

… But for the rest of us, it can be a different story.

Let’s say you’re coming to the end of the month, and out of your current Customer base, 70% have paid up, but the other 30% hasn’t.

What now?

You’d forecast this cash as coming in but it’s NOT coming in. Not unless drastic action is taken.

You’ve called them … no response.

Emailed them … nothing.

It’s getting frustrating!

You could go and visit them, but they’re hundreds of miles away, and you have more pressing issues to attend to.

So, what can you do? Who can you turn to?

What you need is a Letter.

One that’s not too strenuous, or flashy …

…. but also not too lenient. Something that’s worded in the correct fashion, that will get the job done.

These letters alone have stood the test of time and have collected hundreds of thousands, if not tens of thousands of pounds in unpaid invoices.

So, if you’re a business owner struggling to get those non-paying Customers to pay you, stop listening to their terrible excuses and request a no obligation call with me to discuss what we can do to resolve the issue.